Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Drama When a Wannabe King Comes to Town

What a joy getting home from work was yesterday! It took me 45 minutes longer than usual. Why you ask? Wannabe "King George" was in town for a fundraiser. And, of course, why not land at 4:30 in the middle of rush hour and completely close off a major freeway?? Particularly in a city where we are already down one major freeway because of a bridge collapse. I knew "King George" was coming, but had no idea what time, so I happily started my trip home. I get off 35W on the 76th Street Exit (which is actually 77th Street but who cares). Normally there isn't much traffic on 77th when I get off, but last night it was very slow. I figured there was probably a traffic light out because of all the thunderstorms lately. I eventually cross Lyndale Avenue...that light is working fine but the right turn lane isn't moving. Hmmm....I think. After sitting in stop-and-go traffic I finally cross Nicollet Avenue..that light is also working, but I notice people in the left lane are making U-turns. Okay, I figure they are just type-A personalities who are impatient. Between Nicollet Avenue and Portland Avenue the traffic came to a total and complete stop, a virtual parking lot, and there are oodles of cars turning onto 77th from small sidestreets to my right where there is rarely any traffic. Now it's starting to dawn on me that something is amiss. Are we without power again? Is there major gridlock somewhere? I called home only to be told by Chuck that ALL city streets CROSSING I-494 were closed and that I-494 itself was closed because of "King George". So there I sat...nowhere to go. I couldn't get home because I had to cross over I-494 and NO streets were open to allow me to do that. Just as I was about to completely lose my patience, I saw that a bus had turned onto Portland Avenue and it appeared to be moving. YAY!!! "King George" was going to allow me to get home! Now, don't you think it would have made sense to let people know earlier in the day that the streets would be closed? If I had known, I could have decided to stop at Borders and browse or meet Chuck somewhere for dinner. Instead I sat in a traffic jam fuming. My head hurts.....

1 comment:

Disney Mummy said...

Now, now, if the palace were to notify the knaves and peons about the king's visit it might compromise kingdom security. Silly woman! Grin.