Tuesday, September 04, 2007

What a Weekend!

I spent the Labor Day weekend in CA. I flew into the Burbank Airport and arrived about 230 on Friday. Aimee met me and, since neither of us had had lunch, we made a stop at Corner Bakery. Because it was SO hot (at or near 100 degrees) we went Aimee's office at Disney where we sat in the Tiki Lounge, watched TV and stitched. I was knitting dishcloths for Darcy for Christmas and Aimee was working on handsewing the binding on a quilt she made for Darcy to celebrate 5 years of being cancer free. Yes, it was 5 years ago that she was diagnosed with breast cancer and we're planning to celebrate. This was only Aimee's second attempt at making a quilt and the finished result is breathtaking! I know Darcy is going to cry.

Saturday Aimee and I drove down to my cousin's condo in Huntington Beach. We had to pick up our packets for the Disneyland Family Fun 5K at the Disneyland Hotel by 900 pm. Neither Aimee nor I had slept well Friday night because of the heat so we decided to get out of the Valley and go where it was cooler. Gail has gotten into beading and has made some beautiful pieces. I wanted to make some stitch markers so Gail and I made a run to a bead store. She picked up pearls to make a bracelet for me and I got what I needed. We hightailed it out of there as fast as we could to get away from the very "WITCHY" shopowner. What is it with shopowners who have to make a shopping experience miserable? I can name a few cross stitch shopowners who are just as bad. Aimee's friend Holly arrived around 500 pm and we all then headed to Disneyland to pick up our packets and eat dinner.

We were up bright and early Sunday morning because the 5K started at 700 am. To our surprise, we were on time. I can't say we were all awake...but we were there. Aimee and Holly ran the race while Gail and I walked. I must say, Gail and I kept up a good steady pace and finished in a respectable time. BUT IT WAS SO DANG HOT!! We were all drenched when we finished. Holly left to go home and Aimee, Gail and I changed clothes in the car in the parking lot before heading back into Disneyland for breakfast. While eating an earthquake hit SE of LA, but none of us realized it until we went to ride a water ride in California Adventure. We then found out that the ride was temporarily closed for inspection following a 4.7 earthquake and we all mentioned that we had all felt our chairs either moving or being bumped while eating. Must have been the quake.

It got so incredibly hot during the day at Disneyland. I bought a hat to keep the sun off my head. I also bought a bottle of water early and kept refilling it. (The "trick" is to go into First Aid and fill your bottles with very cold filtered water AND pick up their iced towels.) Unfortunately, Aimee didn't rehydrate herself properly after the 5K and by 300 pm she was feeling very, very ill. She was chugging water but it wasn't helping much. She waited too long to take in the fluids. We left Disneyland and went back to Gail's condo so Aimee could get a nap and cool off. By 500 she was feeling much, much better and we drove back to Burbank. We had planned on opening-and-closing Disneyland, but because of the extreme heat we weren't able to do it. So that's our plan for our annual Girls' Weekend this fall.

Now to get my clothes washed and repacked for our trip to Scotland which begins on Saturday!! YAY!!

3 comments:

Disney Mummy said...

Sounds like such a fun time--well, Aimee feeling ill, notsomuch--but it sounds like you made the most of your day! Good for you & Gail finishing the walk and good for Aimee & Holly running it!

Laurie Ann said...

This LA heat is so not fun. Was that your first earthquake? It wasn't much of one.

Heather said...

Welcome to the heat of LA LA land! I live in the Valley (in that record-breaking area known as Woodland Hills) and just cannot wait for SOME form of fall to show up already!

I hope you are having a great time in Scotland! Email me when you're back and I'll send you the gDiapers info.

:-) Hettie
fellow Ravenclaw