Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Halloween

Have I ever mentioned that I love, love, LOVE Halloween? It is, without a doubt, my favorite holiday. I don't get to dress up much any more except in my mind where I wear the most outrageous costumes. I am truly a Halloween addict! I would love to decorate my entire house, inside and out, in Halloween all year round, but I might get a few complaints. Maybe when I FINALLY get my own craft room, I'll have to decorate it like Halloween 365 days a year (or Victorian...can't decide).
One of my favorite Halloween memories is when I was 12 years old and lived in a suburb of Denver. I dressed as a vampiress (is that a word?) A favorite neighbor helped me get dressed, and probably helped develop my love of Halloween. I wore a black skirt, black tights, black blouse, and black high heels. My neighbor cut open a black velvet skirt and let me wear that as a cape. She then applied white make-up and LOTS of black eye makeup. I remember feeling so WICKED! My friends and I started trick-or-treating early and stayed out until after 10:00...back in the day when it was safe for kids to stay out that late. I filled 1 pillow case with candy and went home to get another. At one house, the people invited all the kids into their back yard where they had a cauldron of water with apples we bobbed for. They also gave us hot apple cider. (We'd probably get arrested if we did that in this day and age.) At several houses we had our photos taken.
Yes, Halloween is my favorite holiday. I think I have more Halloween framed cross stitch projects than any other theme and my to-do pile is mostly Halloween. I just can't resist!
I hereby declare myself the Queen of Halloween! Who wants to be in my court?

2 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

I do! I do! I LOVE Halloween.
I was such a geeky kid I dressed up as a newspaper reporter one year. No one got it.
Last time I dressed up, my costume was Mama Cass. My sister and her husband were Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix. Sense a theme?

Debbie said...

Oh on October 13th the Victorian Society is having an Opera Themed Masqurade Ball. Here's the website
www.northstarvsa.com I'll be there if you want to join me!