Tuesday, May 02, 2006

There Goes The Neighborhood

I woke up at 3:00 this morning and saw what I first thought was far away lightening. When I looked at it more I decided it was too rhythmic to be lightening, too continual. So I got up to see what it was. There was a police car sitting in the middle of the intersection of 81st Street and 5th Avenue. It was facing north blocking 81st Street. It was just sitting there with its red & blue lights flashing. After about 5 minutes another police car with its lights flashing came from the west on 81st Street. The first squad car moved to let the other one through and it went on to Portland Avenue. The first squad then turned around and went west on 81st Street with flashing lights. Shortly thereafter I heard a helicopter so I got up again to see what was happening. The helicopter was very low and just above our house when I got up. It circled and circled our neighborhood before finally flying away. I again went back to bed but then heard what seemed to be strange whistling outside. I have no idea what that was, but I was not going to get up and find out!
As the riff-raff of the inner city starts to move outward, the problems are coming closer and closer to home. At times I don't know if I want to put any money into improving our house or just sell and get out now while we can still get some money out of it. Dilemmas.....

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Put money into improving the house so you CAN sell it for money. Then MOVE! Honestly, I'm surprised it's taken this long for the riff raff to move in!

Debbie said...

I agree with Aimee, in the current housing market, you should but a little money in the house to give it a face lift. Then sell it and move somewhere fun!