Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I Just Don't Understand




Today should be a very happy, joyous day in this country, but the ugliness of hate continues to rear its head. Barack Obama has been elected 44th President of the United States. His election brings such hope to a country where we have even been denying we are American. I now feel I can proudly hold my head high and admit I am American. There were no boos from the crowd when he mentioned McCain in his acceptance speech, unlike all the boos in McCain's concession speech. The smiles and tears running down the faces of the people in the crowd said it all. I was so moved by emotion and hope, something that I have not experienced in the last 8 years.

But, sadly, the hate spewed by McCain and Palin throughout the campaign continues to hurt. The brother of one of my oldest and dearest friends posted the following on my Facebook page:

"you should invest in a 55 gallon barrel of vaseline. . .enjoy your delusional state of mind, while you are able to. now you'll have another new kid to chase around the block. i'm sure youre right, as your messiah has arrived. good luck, but keep the barrel nearby."

This has bothered me all day. To me it's offensive and hateful and is a continuation of all the crap thrown around by Sarah Palin and John McCain. I just want to wash my hands. Needless to say, I've removed him as a friend on Facebook.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

There are always going to be people who are upset that their candidate didn't win. Obama's actions in the next several years will show these people what's real and right for our country. Obama is a great man and has shown in his campaign that he can rise above negative comments and narrow minded people. Lets follow Obama's lead and let these people live in their barrel of Vaseline.

P.s. What does that even mean? Wouldn't you slip and slide every where you went?

Disney Mummy said...

That "friend" should be ashamed of themselves. Don't let the turkeys get you down Neila!

Wendy said...

Neila,

There is no need for a "to me this is offensive" clarifier. That comment is INCREDIBLY offensive and beyond uncalled for. I would almost expect that kind of disgusting talk from an unruly 15 year old but I would imagine that this man must be old enough (and then some) to know better and have a bit more class.

And Debbie... God bless your innocence in not knowing what it means..heh. The part that I don't get is the "you'll have some new little friends... " Huh?

I hope that you have not only removed him from your friends list, but also let your true friend what her brother had to say so she can let him know that he's not welcome to spew his crap any longer.

I have the highest of hopes for Obama's presidency. He's going to face some challenges ahead with such a nasty economy and the giant hole that this schmuck in office has helped create for us.