Sunday, December 17, 2006

Social Responsibility

When I was in CA last weekend, Aimee and I witnessed a horrendous car accident. We were stopped at a red light when a car traveling at a high rate of speed went around us and the car next to us, went into the left turn lane, and entered the intersection going straight ahead on the red light. He hit a young man approximately 20 years old broadside causing the kid's car to do a 360 before sliding into a fence. The kid was knocked unconscious and had to be cut from his car.
What is amazing to me is that Aimee and I were the ONLY car that remained at the scene of the accident and gave statements to the police. No one else who witnessed the accident seemed to care enough to stick around. I know that being a witness to an accident can be a hassle, but what if it were me or one of my loved ones in that car? Wouldn't I want someone to take the time to make sure I was okay? Someone to stand up and tell the truth about what had happened? The driver of the other car was trying to spin the story to make it look like the kid was in the wrong. Hopefully because we stayed around to tell the police what we witnessed, we will have saved the kid, who did nothing wrong, from further injury.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

When I was in my big car accident in LA, only one person stopped and she said she saw it all but had to go before the police came. Luckily I thought to get her name and number as a witness before she left. But there were a lot of witnesses that didn't stop.